Mardi Gras (Pop Culture)
The very concept of Mardi Gras amuses and puzzles me. Fat Tuesday is basically an excuse to party hearty before the austerity of Ash Wednesday kicks in, with its smudged foreheads, somber music and readings, and Lenten sacrifice.
The message of Mardi Gras seems to be, "Before we get serious about Lent, let's eat, drink and debaucherize as much as we can because tomorrow the party's over!" In contrast, the message of Ash Wednesday is, "Turn away from sin and be faithful to the gospel."
Mardi Gras reminds me of the wild bachelor parties that some guys have before they get married. From whence comes this need to go in the totally opposite direction before settling into something as meaningful as marriage or Ash Wednesday? I mean, I like a good party as much as the next person, but why go overboard? Admittedly, human nature's inclination to sin makes the resistance to temptation difficult.
Ash Wednesday is simply an opportunity to renew our relationship with the God who created us and calls us to holiness. God is with us always, even in the midst of our wildest parties.
I'm not trying to throw ice water on anyone's Mardi Gras celebrations. Have fun! But maybe the awareness of God's loving presence might help us to reign in the temptation to excess.
God with Us [Octavo]
- Sarah Hart, Jayme Thompson
||$3.35||Add to Cart|
Live It! [CD]
||$25.00||Add to Cart|
You Are My Child [MP3]
- Steve Angrisano, Wendi Foy Green
||$1.29||Add to Cart|
- Sainthood: I Wanna Be Holy Just Like You!
- Of Pop Culture, Coolness and the Cross
- Thrashing for Christ!
- BE YOURSELF!
- Real Friends
- Your Parents' Music
- txt msg: FSH (Pop Culture)
- Over the River and Through the Woods (Pop Culture)
- Advent: Antidote for Xmas (Pop Culture)
- A Christmas Carol (Pop Culture)
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Christian? (Pop Culture)
- Of Charlie Brown, Linus, and the Message of Christmas (Pop Culture)
- Best of 2007 (Pop Culture)
- The Waiting (Pop Culture)
- Heroes and Truth (Pop Culture)
- Of Humility, Love and American Idol (Pop Culture)
- Brothers (Pop Culture)
- Strangely Disconnected (Pop Culture)
- Video Games (Pop Culture)
- Random (Pop Culture)
- Leaving Home (Pop Culture)
- California Dreamin' (Pop Culture)
- St. Patrick Predicament (Pop Culture)
- Like a Rose Trampled (Pop Culture)
- What Would Jesus txt? (Pop Culture)
- Musicians and Practice (Pop Culture)
- The Pope Has a Skateboard?? (Pop Culture)
- Pope Benedict: Shepherd for the World (Pop Culture)
- Summer Movies: The Great Stories (Pop Culture)
- What Makes a Good Story? (Pop Culture)
- Summer Jobs (Pop Culture)
- Guitar Heroics (Pop Culture)
- Edgy Creativity (Pop Culture)
- Spirit Spot Shuffle (Pop Culture)
- Writing: The Lost Art (Pop Culture)
- Dark Knight of the Soul
- Dark Knight of the Soul, Part 2 (Pop Culture)
- We Are the Light (Pop Culture)
- An Ode to Autumn; or, "Help! It's Fall!"
- Seinfeld on Innocence
- I Am Saved